We now have 162 of our parents benefiting from our highly successful Income Generating Activity (IGA) programme. New statistics from a survey of our IGA parents and their families reveal how our children are gradually moving away from abject poverty, thanks to the businesses of their parents.
• 95% now live somewhere better than a hut. (2015: 89%)
• 100% eat at least two meals a day. (2015: 100%)
• 52% have at least two pairs of shoes. (2015: 48%)
• 75% sleep on a mattress rather than on the ground. (2015: 46%)
• 100% have access to clean water and a working pit latrine. (2015: 100%)
• 69% of the parents are now able to afford to pay school fees for another child to go to a state school. (2015: 61%)
You can see two videos filmed in the Namatala slum of some of the mums who have benefited from the scheme, and how that has influenced the lives of their children.
To read more about our IGA scheme, please click here.
If you'd like to help a young mum start her own small business with a £25 start-up grant, please click here.
And to part-sponsor one of our IGA staff for £10 per month, please click here